Sunday, March 11, 2018

One word: Foley

Hi again,
     honestly the process has been getting along great. At first I thought that with two people, creating ideas for this film would be impossible. But, as this process has been moving along, (slowly but surely) I realized that it isn't as hard as it sounds. I also thought that with two people working on the opening we would have a lot of disagreements but we have actually been working really well together and have many similar if not the same ideas. This is irrelevant to what I am going to discuss on this blog post but I just wanted to let you know how everything is coming along. 

     So in this post I wanted to discuss sound. Sound is a very important but very discreet part of film. It goes unnoticed among audiences but little do they know the amount of work that's put into it. The opening seen starts with jogging and obviously in the film it is very hard to hear the sound of jogging when background noises such as wind and birds are present. This is where Foley art comes into play:) In my garage I have a 6 feet by 6 feet piece of a hard wood floor. My sister always used it to tap dance because the tapping sounds were so eminent and powerful. I think that I could record my self jogging in place(obviously matching to the rhythm of my movement in the film).

     We can't forget the breeze! I was searching up ideas online to make a breeze sound that's easy to do. I found one idea that I think can be easily accomplished. The first step is to get a newspaper and fold it into a quarter size. Then, cut up slices from the bottom nearly to the top. Holding it at the top sway the paper near the mic or recorder. However, you can't touch it or it will ruin the allusion.

     The last thing to do for the opening scene is the chirping birds. This doesn't require much because I have a very close friend that can do perfect chirping noises mimicking the birds. What I'll do is record her making the chirping noises, and then when its places on adobe premiere pro I would lower the volume of it to make it seem more natural and part of the background.
   
     I don't think the background sound is as important because the main focus would be on the song playing in the background. I decided to start with diegetic in the females headphones to non-diegetic when she takes them out because it creates a smooth transition. There's nothing else really behind it other than the fact that we don't need to figure out a way to change the sound and the audiences moods. It's really just an easier approach to a hard concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR